<

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Read English, Avoid Tragedy

I rode the train and bus into Vancouver B.C. a few years ago, my first trip to Canada. At the border, I stood in line to present my passport and submit to the scrutiny of customs officials. As I kicked my luggage along when the line moved forward, I read all the signs, with their instructions both in English and in French. Everything was in English and in French, except one black, stenciled message on the luggage carousel which said, "KEEP OFF."

I can take a hint.

Apparently only an American would be stupid enough to take a ride on the luggage-go-round, and only the Canadians would point this out with government sanctioned bold lettering.

If only they could vote in our elections. Or at least post signs, in block-lettered English, in voting booths demanding common sense.

Staying off the luggage carosels in the Great White North,


Cindy

2 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

European trains used to have notices saying Don't lean out of the window in French, German, Italian and English, and ones saying Do not spit only in the first three; I took this as a compliment.
HERE’S another one. In this case they are implying that Anglophones have a natural sense of propriety.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Cindy St. Onge said...

The British Anglophones, anyway. The Canadians know better, being so close to the States.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me! Site Feed