<

Friday, May 27, 2005

Memorial Day Poems


Posted by Hello

Memorial Day weekend calls for a special,if not altogether solemn post. This week's poem was written for and about my dad, who died of lung cancer 25 years ago. He was career Navy and a true patriot.
I remember both my deceased parents this time of year, and have posted a poem for and about my mother at my Blood Blog.



Antidote

Would tears dilute
Death’s toxic drink
and restore you wholly
to life on earth?

Could Heaven be moved
by pitiful cries
to let you float
back down to me?

Which pleading words
would best convince
cruel Destiny
that I need you more?

Who knows how grieved
are my dreams at night?
Your visits are brief,
then morning intrudes.

Why was I
left behind
to forever mourn
the theft of you?

Who knows better
the dearness of
that one good man,
than a fatherless daughter?


Posted by Hello


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful...

12:02 PM  
Blogger Hannah M. said...

I love it. Stole the words right outta my innards.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me! Site Feed