<

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Raindrops Keep Falling
On Scarborough Fair

Basil, Cypress, Wintergreen and Thyme...

These are four of the nine essential oils used in a type of massage called Raindrop Therapy. Carol is an LMT at my clinic who specializes in the use of essential oils and aromatherapy, and is responsible for the delicious and intoxicating odors wafting through the hallways upstairs.

I heard about Raindrop Therapy a few years ago from my colonic hygenist. Yes, I had a colonic hygenist. She told me about the nine different oils and the delivery, drop by drop, along the length of the spine, and the method intrigued me.

Carol explained that the oils used in this massage have powerful antibacterial, antimicrobial properties that when absorbed into the skin, eliminate viruses and germs that have nestled along the spinal column. There is research, she says, that has linked these viruses to scoliosis and other disorders of the spine, and these studies have demonstrated success using the Raindrop method to not only correct curvature of the spine, but boost immune system function as well.

Raindrop therapy starts at the feet. Carol massaged a fragrant blend into my feet, her hands pleasantly warm, her touch was gentle but deliberate. She held the bottle under my nose for a few seconds so I could breathe in the woody, spicy aroma. "This is Valor. It balances energies." I've learned that Valor is used as a grounding blend, and imparts relaxation, balances and aligns the body, and most importantly for a Raindrop massage, acts as a conduit for high frequency oils in healing and energy work.

Which is another point that makes this massage unique. It's all about energy. Dropping the oil from a height of about five or six inches is thought to charge the oil. All living things have an electromagnetic field--herbs, flowers, and their essences and tinctures--have an EMF. Letting the oil pass through the EMF of the recipient charges the oil in a way that is believed to be beneficial, optimizing its healing and energetic properties.

Carol applied one layer at a time, massaging the oil into my shoulders and spine, down to my sacrum, gliding with her palms, then using a manipulation called Vita-Flex along each vertebra. After placing a hot towel on my back to expidite absorption, she held the oil she used for that layer under my nose to breathe in. Oregano, Thyme, Marjoram, Basil, Wintergreen, Cypress, a blend called Aroma Siez, and finally, Peppermint.

In between applications, Carol massaged every quadrant of my body--using gentle lifting and turning movements of my hands, shoulders, ankles, legs and hips. The dropping of the oils wasn't only theraputic and sensually delightful, it drew the massage out in a deliciously gradual progression. I'm getting sleepy just remembering it.

After removing the last hot towel from the Peppermint layer, exposure to air punctuated the eye-watering menthol, causing a lovely cool breeze to seem to radiate from my back.

And I smelled like a four-course Italian dinner trying to hide under an Altoid.

Carol advised me that effects from the massage may manifest in a few days. A straighter posture and more energy might come about. Or not. It doesn't matter to me. The massage itself was wondrous, and Carol a gracious and attentive therapist.

Maybe I'll stand up straighter in a few days. Or maybe I'll plant an herb garden instead. Parsely, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me! Site Feed